You have no Insurance, or are abroad and not covered, or you don't have your card with you, so what do you do?
- trickery: switch the card with someone else
- you need to go to a free / cheap place.
The intention of this document:
- Have a map of places to navigate and get medical assistance when needed
- ER is free everywhere in Europe (?)
- probably not
- what is covered under ER?
Known free places:
- Vienna : http://www.barmherzige-brueder.at/site/wien/home
- Munich : http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/about_lmu_alt/academics/medical_center/index.html
- UK / NHS
- Slovenia: a basic visit to the doctor is 5€, a basic specialist visit. ER is free.
Dentistry is a big problem:
- Who would do it pro bono?
- EHIC card seems to not cover dentistry
- In Spain, all dental care is private
- Is DIY dentistry possible?
Feasible DIY medicine:
- stitching, removing stitches
- In the Netherlands (Aalkmar hospital), I was rushed to a hospital with an injury threatening my finger. I didn't have my documents with me (including EHIC card) and was explain to me by the doctor I should pay 200€ upfront for him to take a look at it. I found that morbid and went away.
- In Spain, I was surprised to discover all dental care is private. A filling costs 50-70€, and a presupuesto for a root canal treatment was 430€. So I needed to head back to my home country to get free healthcare.
- Got superb treatment in the UK by NHS (stitches). Got brought to Royal London Hospital by a local and no one wanted to see any documents.
This page is a total stub.