Books can be a source of nomadic inspiration, a source of ideas and a means to spend time. They can be discussed, read and shared.
- Astikainen, Tomi. (2012) - Sunhitcher. *Free book for download.
- Astikainen, Tomi. (2016) - Rich Without Money.
- Brooks, Kristy. (1995). - Hitching: Tales from the Byways and Superhighways.
- Bouchard, Anick-Marie (2014). - Hitchhiking. Free "how-to zine" including an analysis of the different safety advice with their pros and cons, including women-specific advice.
- Brugiroux, André. (1994). - One People: One Planet.
- Buenfil, Alberto Ruz (1991) - Rainbow Nation Without Borders
- Choszcz, Kinga Freespirit.(2004) - Led by Destiny: Hitchhiking Around the World.
- Davis, Erick. (2010) - Nomad Codes. Adventures in Modern Esoterica.
- Drifter, Christopher (2014) - Rules of Thumb: How to Hitch-Hike and Live on the Road. Free, kindle and paperback editions.
- Eberhardt, Isabelle and Kershaw, Elizabeth. (2003) - The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle .
- Eldon, Don. (1997) - The Journey is the Destination: The Journals of Dan Eldon.
- Ferguson, Will. (2006) - Hitching Rides with Buddha.
- Ferrell, J. (2005) - Empire of Scrounge: Inside the Urban Underground of Dumpster Diving, Trash Picking, and Street Scavenging
- Fletcher, Colin. (1984+) - The Complete Walker
- Francis, John. (2009) - Planetwalker: 22 Years of Walking. 17 Years of Silence.
- Gelman, Rita Golden. (2002) - Tales of a Female Nomad. Living at Large in the World.
- Guthrie, Woody (1943) - Bound For Glory. The autobiography of the nomadic singer/songwriter and social & labour activist Woody Guthrie.
- Karolides, Melissa. (N/A) - The Tao of Hitchhiking: A Journey to Freedom. *Free
- Kennedy, Gordon. (1998) - Children of the Sun. See also a condensed article on the same subject by Gordon Kennedy here.
- Keogh, Frederick. (2011) - Dream Weaver: A Hitchhikers Quest at the Dawn of the Aquarian Age.
- Krakauer, Jon. (1996) - Into the Wild.
- Krotov, A. (2014) - A practical Guidebook for Free Travellers. *Free
- Magowan, R. (2002). - Improbable Journeys.
- McClintock, Walter. (1910) - The Old North Trail: Life, Legends & Religion of the Blackfeet Indians.
- Murphy, Dervla. (1965) - Full Tilt. An account by Dervla Murphy of her 1963 journey by bicycle from Europe to India.
- McCluggage, Jonas (2013) - The Adventures Of Jonas. “The Adventures of Jonas” (354pgs 2008-2014): webcomic-turned-graphic-novel all about two hitchhiking trips, colorado friends, adventure, girls, life, and horrible things. You can read the abridged version for free.
- New, Jennifer (2001) - Dan Eldon: The Art of Life.
- Nooteboom, Cees. (2006). - Nomad’s Hotel. Travels in Time and Space.
- N/A. (2001) - Evasion.
- Papantonio, Murilo (2015) - Para aqueles que estão fugindo Portugese.
- Peace Pilgrim (1992) - Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words. *Free
- Potts, Rolf - Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel (2002).
- Quinn, Carrot. (2013) - Ten Thousand Miles by Freight Train. A Memoir of Beauty and Freedom on the Rails.
- Rusho, W.L. (1983) - Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty.
- Rusho, W.L. (1998) - Wilderness Journals of Everett Ruess.
- Solnit, Rebecca. (2001) - Wanderlust. A history of walking, exploring the relationship between thinking and walking and between walking and culture.
- Thesiger, Wilfred - Visions of a Nomad
- Thesiger, Wilfred - My Life and Travels: An Anthology
- Thesiger, Wilfred - The Last Nomad
- Thomas, Irv. (2010) - Derelict Days . . .: Sixty-Six Years on the Roadside Path to Enlightenment.
- Thompson, Stephen Braxton, (2013). - An American Nomad. A Road Trip in Search of America.
- Thompson, Hunter. S. (2005) - Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga.
- Thumb, Tom. (1998). - Hand to Mouth - Tom Thumb's account of hitchhiking from England to India in 1997 with no money at all. * Free book for download.
- Thumb, Tom. (2012) - Somewhere Under the Rainbow. Tom Thumb's personal journey with Rainbow Gatherings.
- Villarino, Juan. (2008) - Vagabonding in the Axis of Evil - By thumb in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.
- Villarino, Juan and Lazzarino, L. (2013) - CAMINOS INVISIBLES – 36.000 km a dedo de Antártida a las Guayanas. *Spanish
- Vollmann, William T. (2008) - Riding Toward Everywhere.
- Walters, John. (2014) - Carsick. - Armed with wit, a pencil-thin mustache, and a cardboard sign that reads "I’m Not Psycho," John Walters hitchhikes across America from Baltimore to San Francisco.
- Webb, Robyn. (2013) - Talking with Strangers.
- Adams, D. (1995) - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- Canepa, R. (2010) - Norton's Ghost.
- Kerouac, J. (1957) - On the Road.
- Kerouac, J. (1959) - Visions of Cody. a more experimental free-flowing version of the events of the classic On The Road.
- Sky, Sereno (2014) - Lonely Traveller
- Voltaire (1991) - Candide.
Philosophical and Academic
- Stilgoe, John R. (1999). - Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places.