Books can be a source of nomadic inspiration, a source of ideas and a means to spend time. They can be discussed, read and shared.
- Astikainen, Tomi. (2012) - Sunhitcher. FREE book for download.
- Astikainen, Tomi. (2016) - Rich Without Money.
- Bloom, Howard: Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang to the 21st Century
- Brooks, Kristy. (1995). - Hitching: Tales from the Byways and Superhighways.
- Bouchard, Anick-Marie (2014). - Hitchhiking. Free "how-to zine" including an analysis of the different safety advice with their pros and cons, including women-specific advice.
- Boyle, Mark (2012): The Moneyless Manifesto. Free
- Brugiroux, André. (1994). - One People: One Planet.
- Buenfil, Alberto Ruz (1991) - Rainbow Nation Without Borders
- Cialdini, Robert B.: Influence: Science and Practice (content
- Choszcz, Kinga Freespirit.(2004) - Led by Destiny: Hitchhiking Around the World.
- Davis, Erick. (2010) - Nomad Codes. Adventures in Modern Esoterica.
- Drifter, Christopher (2014) - Rules of Thumb: How to Hitch-Hike and Live on the Road. Free, kindle and paperback editions.
- Derrick, Matthew (2017) - The Anarchist's Guide to Travel: A manual for future hitchhikers, hobos, and other misfit wanderers
- Eberhardt, Isabelle and Kershaw, Elizabeth. (2003) - The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle .
- Eldon, Don. (1997) - The Journey is the Destination: The Journals of Dan Eldon.
- Ferguson, Will. (2006) - Hitching Rides with Buddha.
- Ferrell, J. (2005) - Empire of Scrounge: Inside the Urban Underground of Dumpster Diving, Trash Picking, and Street Scavenging
- Fletcher, Colin. (1984+) - The Complete Walker
- Francis, John. (2009) - Planetwalker: 22 Years of Walking. 17 Years of Silence.
- [Kinga Freespirit (2004). Led by Destiny. Bernardinum, Poland. ISBN 83-7380-205-3.
- Fermor, Patrick Leigh (2004). A Time of Gifts. In December 1933, at the age of eighteen, Patrick Leigh Fermor (1915-2011) walked across Europe.
- Friedman, David. (1989). The Machinery of Freedom: Guide to a Radical Capitalism * free
- Finkel, Michael (2018) - The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit. True story of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years, making this dream a reality--not out of anger at the world, but simply because he preferred to live on his own.
- Gelman, Rita Golden. (2002) - Tales of a Female Nomad. Living at Large in the World.
- Guthrie, Woody (1943) - Bound For Glory. The autobiography of the nomadic singer/songwriter and social & labour activist Woody Guthrie.
- Gelman, Rita Golden (2002). - Tales of a Female Nomad. Broadway Books, 2007
- Harper, Douglas. (2005) - Good Company: A Tramp Life.
- Hib and Kika (2003). - Off the Map.
- Hodgkinson, Tom: The Freedom Manifesto - How to Free Yourself from Anxiety, Fear, Mortgages, Money, Guilt, Debt, Government, Boredom, Supermarkets, Bills, Melancholy, Pain, Depression, Work, and Waste
- Jackson, M. (2004). - Canada Chronicles: A Four-Year Hitchhiking Odyssey.
- Karolides, Melissa. (N/A) - The Tao of Hitchhiking: A Journey to Freedom. Free
- Kennedy, Gordon. (1998) - Children of the Sun. See also a condensed article on the same subject by Gordon Kennedy here.
- Keogh, Frederick. (2011) - Dream Weaver: A Hitchhikers Quest at the Dawn of the Aquarian Age.
- Krakauer, Jon. (1996) - Into the Wild.
- Krotov, A. (2014) - A practical Guidebook for Free Travellers. Free book.
- Lobaczewski, Andrew M.(2006) - Political Ponerology - interesting book on psychopathy and politics
- Le Bas, Damian (2018). The Stopping Places: A Journey Through Gypsy Britain.
- Lott, J. (2018) Hitchhike America. Beginning in Washington, D.C. and ending on the Pacific Coast, Hitchhike America honestly recounts the amazing journey exploring the United States and meeting new people, seeking to uncover the true soul of America. Part memoir and part travel writing, Hitchhike America also acts as a new guide for hitchhikers, with wisdom and anecdotes to teach you the best hitchhiking and vagabonding practices for adventuring the United States on a tight budget and a loose schedule.
- Magowan, R. (2002). - Improbable Journeys.
- McClintock, Walter. (1910) - The Old North Trail: Life, Legends & Religion of the Blackfeet Indians.
- Murphy, Dervla. (1965) - Full Tilt. An account by Dervla Murphy of her 1963 journey by bicycle from Europe to India.
- McCluggage, Jonas (2013) - The Adventures Of Jonas. “The Adventures of Jonas” (354pgs 2008-2014): webcomic-turned-graphic-novel all about two hitchhiking trips, colorado friends, adventure, girls, life, and horrible things. You can read the abridged version for free.
- Mahood, L. (2018) - Thumbing a Ride: Hitchhikers, Hostels, and Counterculture in Canada.
- New, Jennifer (2001) - Dan Eldon: The Art of Life.
- Nooteboom, Cees. (2006). - Nomad’s Hotel. Travels in Time and Space.
- N/A. (2001) - Evasion.
- Niman, Michael(1997). People of the Rainbow:. Nomadic Utopia. (free pdf).
- Papantonio, Murilo (2015) - Para aqueles que estão fugindo Portugese.
- Peace Pilgrim (1992) - Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words. Free book.
- Potts, Rolf - Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel (2002).
- Quinn, Carrot. (2013) - Ten Thousand Miles by Freight Train. A Memoir of Beauty and Freedom on the Rails.
- Rusho, W.L. (1983) - Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty.
- Rusho, W.L. (1998) - Wilderness Journals of Everett Ruess.
- Saint-Exupéry, Antoine de: Citadelle
- Solnit, Rebecca. (2001) - Wanderlust. A history of walking, exploring the relationship between thinking and walking and between walking and culture.
- Surowiecki, James: The Wisdom of Crowds
- Sharing Cities: Activating the Urban Commons (free pdf) is available now.
- Taleb, Nassim Nicholas: Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
- Thesiger, Wilfred - Visions of a Nomad
- Thesiger, Wilfred - My Life and Travels: An Anthology
- Thesiger, Wilfred - The Last Nomad
- Thomas, Irv. (2010) - Derelict Days . . .: Sixty-Six Years on the Roadside Path to Enlightenment.
- Thompson, Stephen Braxton, (2013). - An American Nomad. A Road Trip in Search of America.
- Thompson, Hunter. S. (2005) - Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga.
- Thumb, Tom. (1998). - Hand to Mouth - Tom Thumb's account of hitchhiking from England to India in 1997 with no money at all. Free book for download.
- Thumb, Tom. (2012) - Somewhere Under the Rainbow. Tom Thumb's personal journey with Rainbow Gatherings.
- Tolle, Eckhart: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
- Villarino, Juan. (2008) - Vagabonding in the Axis of Evil - By thumb in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.
- Villarino, Juan and Lazzarino, L. (2013) - CAMINOS INVISIBLES – 36.000 km a dedo de Antártida a las Guayanas. *Spanish
- Vollmann, William T. (2008) - Riding Toward Everywhere.
- Walters, John. (2014) - Carsick. - Armed with wit, a pencil-thin mustache, and a cardboard sign that reads "I’m Not Psycho," John Walters hitchhikes across America from Baltimore to San Francisco.
- Webb, Robyn. (2013) - Talking with Strangers.
- Wolfram, Stephen: A New Kind of Science
- Wood, L (2017)- Eastern Horizons: Hitchhiking the Silk Road.
- Wood, L (2017)- Walking The Himalayas.
- Adams, D. (1995) - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- Canepa, R. (2010) - Norton's Ghost.
- Kerouac, J. (1957) - On the Road.
- Kerouac, J. (1959) - Visions of Cody. a more experimental free-flowing version of the events of the classic On The Road.
- Sky, Sereno (2014) - Lonely Traveller
- Voltaire (1991) - Candide.
Philosophical and Academic
- Stilgoe, John R. (1999). - Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places.
- Frederiksen, Kasper Opstrup (2014). The Way Out. Invisible Insurrections and Radical Imaginaries in the UK Underground 1961-1991. FREE PDF.
- Coperthwaite, Bill (2007). - A Handmade Life: In Search of Simplicity.
Practical & DIY
- Want to build a Shit Pit or Compost Toilets? Really! The easiest way to build is to follow the book the Humanure Handbook (free pdf) by Joseph Jenkins.
- ANARCHY COOKBOOK VERSION 2000. Its legality has been questioned in several jurisdictions (UK, Australia).
- Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook : a Moveable Feast. Over thirty collectives collaborated in testing, composing, and editing the book’s 62 sections, which range from Affinity Groups, Coalition Building, and Mental Health to Sabotage, Squatting, and Wheatpasting.
Magazines & Journals
- The Idler (1933).