Here's a collection of DIY (Do It Yourself) equipment and related how to manuals. Alot of new material is out of the new trend called ' Primitive Technology' which have their own  featured YouTube channel (2015) and blog. there is also a e Primitive Skills channel details the projects of Huy Dong in rural Vietnam. There is also a Reddit Community.
- Making a stove from a can - How To Turn A Can into The Only Stove you will ever need on the road.
- More information on Alcohol Stoves, and more on Wikipedia.
- How to make a wood gas stove from cans, on youtube : part 1 and part 2. A wood gas stove uses biomass gasification to turn low burning emissions as fuel. The gas mixes with additional incoming air to provide a secondary burn. It's more efficient than a normal wood stove. It only need wood so there is no fuel (like gas or alcohol) to carry.
- Other way to do a wood gas camp stove (pdf).
- Where to get or how to build rocket stove -FB discussion
- Squat candle
- Swedish Torch.
Shit pits and Compost Toilets
Gatherings can lead to food and water-spread illness. Here are some solutions you can use in the seed camp infrastructure (taken from European Rainbow Gathering Group on Facebook).
- Shit pits-at needed to be at least 100 metres from water, at least 1.5 metres deep or deeper. KEEP TOILET PAPER AT THE SHIT PIT IN A CAN WITH A LID to protect it from rain-coffee cans work well, or a plastic bag in a pinch. Keep a closed bucket of ashes or crushed limestone there, and powder every exposed shit lightly, it helps break the shit down and importantly, keeps the flies away. Flies can burrow through 8 cm of dirt, but ash or lime repels them. You can pick up 25kg bags of limestone incredibly cheaply at farm or garden stores. Crushed limestone has nearly the same chemical composition as ash, and is good to have on hand when rain makes ashes scarce. When shit pits are up to .5m from the surface, bury them and leave a 10cm mound on top for eventual decomposition and settling. Dig a new one right then and there or people will shit on top of the old pit.
- Compost Toilets: Really, if you expect more than 20 people for a number of days, build composting toilet. They can easily be constructed using shipping pallets and plastic advertising signs salvaged from petrol stations and political campaigns. The easiest way to build is to follow the book the Humanure Handbook (free pdf) by Joseph Jenkins.
Advantages: A decomposing compost pile is almost odour-free. A properly composted human waste kills harmful bacteria and generates rich soil. · * Asian cultures that compost human waste have sustainably grown food for centuries without using chemical fertilizers.
- Handwash - USE CHLORINE IN THE HANDWASH. Just 2-5 drops of bleach in a 1L or 2L bottle with holes poked in the cap will sanitize hands in a way that vinegar or ash CANNOT.
- Water- USE FILTERS FOR DRINKING WATER. A €15 Sawyer filter attached to the end of a water tube and feeding into a huge water collection barrel (200-1000L) can filter out bacteria down to .1 microns. If you learn to use carbon and ceramic prefilters you can avoid the need to backflush the Sawyer as often. Each filter can sanitize about 400,000 litres of water over its lifetime use. Only rinse food in the kitchen with filtered water. Live water taps can still be used to preserve filtered water store when you are making coffee, tea, soup, or anything that will be boiled. When filling your water bottle from a filtered source DON'T TOUCH YOUR THING TO THE THING (don't contaminate the spout by touching your water bottle to it ever).
Kitchen & Food
- Kitchen: Use bleach in the hand wash, same as the shitters, in tiny quantity (one drop for a small spray bottle). Wash your hands before touching anything in the kitchen. Spray and wipe down surfaces with this hand wash before putting food on the prep table. Wash hands after touching your clothes, face, cigarette, or anything unsanitary. When serving, DON'T TOUCH YOUR THING TO THE THING (make sure serving spoon never touches anyone's bowl, and hold bowls next to food pot, below the lip, so no food can accidentally touch a contaminated bowl then fall back into the food pot).
Please, please, learn from other event / gathering mistakes. Bring these suggestions to focalizers. Use them yourself. It's time to start the sanitation revolution in Rainbow.
- YouTube: Opening can's - How to open a can without a can opener.
- How to Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew
- Need an axe? Make one from a stone and a branch.
- Need a pot? Mix your own clay and make a kiln.
- Instructables is a great source of DIY manuals and how to.
- A Spamjo - is a homemade banjo of sorts. Lots of tutorials on google etc.
- this is a stub, please add more information