A smartphone can be used to access the Internet, play games and utilize the power of downloadable apps.
Privacy/ Connectivity Apps for the Nomad
- Burner is a privacy layer for your phone. Create unlimited numbers at the touch of a button, and keep your personal number private (US and Canada only).
- NomadSMS allows users to purchase a local phone number in a selection of countries. Except instead of purchasing the number in the form of a physical SIM card and inserting it into a phone, it allows the user to receive text messages sent to the local number via their email inbox.
- WifiMagic helps Find Wifi networks nearby you, and show passwords of secured networks!
Mapping Apps for the Nomad
- Download maps of the area where you're going to. It’s a great open-source offline map. You can find directions or POI (points of interest) without the need to search for wi-fi or using your mobile data.
- Citymapper. An app that combines all different kinds of transport to find the best suited route for you.
- Geospike is a free app for iOS and Android devices. The app allows instant recording of a data ‘spike’ of your location in the field (using the internal GPS of the mobile device) to which you can attach photos, videos & field notes.
Hitchhiking Apps for the Nomad
- Hitchwiki maps - 1.
- MyHitchhikingSpots saves your hitching spots.
- Hitchhiking Maps. A world map with spots for hitch-hiking marked on by users.
Productivty Apps for the Nomad
- Oblique is a paid app for iOS. Based on creation by [Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt] and first published in 1975.Intended to help artists (and nomads break creative blocks by encouraging lateral thinking.
Language Apps for the Nomad
- Duolingo. One of the most intuitive websites that teaches languages
Transport Apps for the Nomad
- BlaBlaCar. It’s a car-sharing website
- Flixbus. Flixbus is a bus company that can take you to many places in Europe.
- 25+ free must-have apps for fellow travellers. Feb 2017.