Best Nomad Laptop
Best laptops for nomads
Assumptions when compiling this list:
- Nomads move around a lot and do not travel with a large amount of gear to size and weight are at a premium and usually most important factors.
- Battery life, durability and strength are important.
- Some nomads have large budget for tech products they do their work on, some work to a very limited budget for a machine to use the web on.
- HD Screen resolution, Linux compatibility factors which are potentially decisive for some people.
- Peripherals like power adaptors, backup drives are not included in this list.
- Tablets don't cut it for nomads - you need a keyboard, and you need the facilities of a full operating system.
- Keyboard, trackpad, sound, and external connectivity although important for most are not deal breakers if they're not best in class
Types of user
To make things easier, here are some typical types of user to help divide our list up a little:
- Power User: High budget, power user. Wants best possible machine, budget not important, $1000-$2000, light-weight, lots of CPU/RAM, HD screen.
- Budget Worker: Limited budget. Wants best possible machine to work on so need Windows/OSX/Linux and reasonably sized screen, but working to tight budget: $250-$500.
- Lightweight - not power user but prepared to pay for portability/quality/battery life: $250-$1000, light-weight.
- Disposable: Only need to surf and do basic stuff anything else a bonus. Don't care too much if you lose it. $100-$250.
- Linux Hacker: Can pay less for a machine to run Linux because are power users who know how to configure for Linux, care more about upgradability, keyboard, low price. $250-$500
|Lenovo Carbon X1||Power|
|Dell XPS 13||Power/Linux||Built by Dell for Ubuntu, runs Ubuntu perfectly. Great HD screen. Amazing Next Day Business support.||Poor battery life (~3-4 hours depending on workload), mediocre keyboard.||1200EUR||Buy from Dell US or Ebay.|
|Lenovo X220||Budget/Linux||Cheap! Runs Linux well, decent processor, nice keyboard, mobile internet can be added, part replacements available.||General build quality not great, mediocre trackpad, mediocre battery life||200EUR||Ebay|
|Macbook Air 13"||Power|
|ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T, UX303LA. UX 32vd - best for video editing? i7, can upgrade disk & ram easily UX32V||Power|
|Samsung Ativ Book 9 2014 Edition||Power|
|(Best in class Chromebook)||Budget|
|Microsoft Surface Pro 3||Power|
Catering to the 'Power User' category, these two lists at Notebookcheck compile some best-in-class options for their 'Ultrabook' and 'Subnotebook' category: